Resistance and fear is what keeps ‘it’ your personal power locked up and hidden from you. Myth tells us that we are each endowed our own unique genius. Genius comes from the Latin word spirit…that which watches over us and guides us throughout our life. Resistance is the shadow that conceals the genius.
Imagine if you woke up one day and had the power to take the first steps towards pursuing the important life goals… your dreams? The dream I am talking about does not necessarily have anything to do with material pursuits… it is the pursuit of things that bring real fulfillment that which feeds the soul. Our habits that is resistant to change if they are driven by immediate gratification and culturally defined material pursuits. Everything you want to do that rejects just immediate gratification is a step taken in favor of pursing and honoring the dream that wants to awaken within you. So why don’t we befriend the resistance? Perhaps it has our back in some strange way. To overcome your resistance you have to master:
The hand maidens to resistance:
2. Drama in your life that sucks up your energy
3. Self- medication (when we numb ourselves we disconnect from our authentic/inner-genius self)
4. Feeling like a victim (this deflects your attention from taking responsibility for what you are creating)
6. Self-doubt & fear of rejection
By practicing self-reflection, getting clear about what we want, self- discipline, delaying gratification and taking actions we can re-establish sovereignty over ourselves.
What does resistance masquerade around as…. vague unhappiness, feeling bored and restlessness. The problem is we live in a culture that preys on this.
It takes courage because we are not wired to think like individuals but to conform and follow the pack. To become authentic you need to find the time to be free enough to practice self-examination. We live in a culture of that perpetrates a philosophy of powerlessness, feeling disconnected and empty.
Antidotes to resistance:
1. Confront and dialogue with yourself sabotage.
2. Deconstruct your rationalizations
3. Don’t be over invested in “success”
4. Don’t be overly ambitious or unrealistic
5. Make peace with immediate gratification
6. Learn to self -validate (don’t allow others to define your reality)
7. Treat it like your job: show up every day, do it no matter what, stay the course.
8. Have a sense of humor and patience.
9. Try not to take things personally
10. Focus on what you want to create and make sure it is aligned with your values.
Taking back your personal power starts with befriending the resistance.