How to realize your goals.
Do you think positive thinking is the key to realizing your goals and your full potential? If so think again. The science of motivation is calling into to question wishful thinking and using your imagination in a way that does not serve you.
New research suggests that if you do not choose the right goal, wish or dream, it is unlikely to come to pass unless you have:
1. A positive expectation that it can be done or realized.
2. Appropriately acknowledged and addressed the obstacles.
3. Developed a plan to deal with the obstacles
4. Take action to make it happen.
Research done by Gabriele Oettingen which this process is adapted from suggests just visualizing it already done is actually demotivating as it sends a message the wrong message to the imagination, your partner or genie that helps to bring it to fruition. Dreaming or visualizing can also create a relaxed state without helping to generate the creative tension you need to get it done.
So the first thing to ask yourself is what do you want? You must choose a dream, goal or desire that you believe and expect is possible right now.
1. Identify the positive aspects of what that would mean for you. For example if you want to lose weight, you might choose a manage goal such as losing 1% of your body weight. So if you weigh 175 pounds you would set the goal or intention to lose 17 pounds… one and a half pounds a week for example. What would that mean for you? Connect with the emotional values of how that would make you feel: more confident, healthier, more energy, strong.
2. Write down the action steps you need to take to accomplish this.
3. Identify the obstacles are and imagine and visualize them as best you can. Identify the obstacles you see that would keep you from achieving this. You know what they are but unless you identify and write them down, they still have power over you.
4. Develop a plan of what you will do if you fall sway to the obstacle or do not do the action step you need to do. If I get up to eat after dinner, I will…… (Write out what you can do to remind yourself how to overcome the obstacle).
5. Mentally practice and go over these steps every morning.
Making changes and making our wishes dreams and goals come true is more than just thinking positively. Remember as Jim Rohn said a pioneer in the self-development field once said “Unless you change how you are, you will always have what you’ve got. “
That’s the thing positive thinking and dreaming does not change what’s inside or help you create the tension and energy you need to make changes and realize your goals.
To start off identify your wish, make sure you believe the goal you want to realize is possible!
I work with a coaching process that uses this powerful process and involves and includes the imagination as a partner in realizing your goals. Partnering with the imagination is how you can realize your goals.